Saturday, 7th of December, 2013, starting from around 10:00
Praekelt have offered to host us.
There is a lot of interest in getting pygame running efficiently on PyPy Notably, the Raspberry PI foundation are rather keen on the idea.
- Try to get a subset of pygame working on cffi
- At least pygame.time, pygame.display, pygame.event, pygame.Rect and pygame.draw
- Ideally also pygame.font, pygame.rotate, pygame.transform
- Target a simple tutorial - possibly http://inventwithpython.com/wormy.py
- Test performance on Raspberry PI
- Use existing sdl cffi project?
- pysdl-cffi (targets SDL 2.0, and doesn't wrap other needed libraries)
- Roll our own cffi wrappers?
- Duplicates a bunch of existing work
Repository and results
- Repository on github - https://github.com/CTPUG/pygame_cffi
- At the end of the sprint, we had enough working that a couple of games were moderately playable.
- Some [post sprint hackery got most of the event loop working, and it reached the point that some of the CTPUG pyweek entries could be played (although not without graphical glitches)
- This was tested with both cpython and pypy.
- The Raspberry PI foundation will fund someone to work on extending this to see how far it goes.